There have been some changes both on the frontend and the backend side of www.mychemistry.eu:
Version 5.6 (2016/05/02) of chemmacros comes with a whole bunch of improvements and changes – no breaking changes, though. Here’s an overview over the changes:
As of version 5.5 the
chemmacros package includes a new module named polymers. Currently it mostly defines a few macros for usage in the
\iupac command (provided by the mandatory nomenclature module) such as
My leadsheets package is one of my newer packages. It seems to already have some fans – I get the occasional email asking for support and on github it has at the moment of writing 7 people who watch it and 5 stars. I wrote the first time about it on my German blog (neverthless in English).
I have written earlier about a new concept for chemmacros and about the current development of chemmacros. I really want to go along with e idea of modularity. In fact so much that I already have a draft completed (without manual and probably a number of bugs but still…). The big question is, though: How do I procede without annoying all the users of chemmacros? If I am consequent with the modularity then there need to be breaking changes.
In the LaTeX community templates for documents are a recurring topic of discussion. I have written about it:
Others have written about it:
It all boils down to this: templates often contain bad code or don’t follow good LaTeX practice but on the same time many not so experienced users like to use templates for their documents. This is the source for many, many problems and questions in LaTeX forums and Q&A sites.
Yesterday I’ve changed the name of this blog. The reason is that I’d like to change the focus of this blog away from chemistry in LaTeX.
More precisely I want LaTeX in general to be the topic. That doesn’t mean I won’t be writing about chemistry in LaTeX any more – of course I still will. But there are so much more topics worth writing about! Certainly one main focus will be news about the development of my packages (one reason for not focussing on the chemistry part: I have a number of packages not related to chemistry at all!).
As you know I have always had a long list of links on the right-hand or left-hand side of this blog. I have moved these to a dedicated page: the Link Library. I also added the possibility for you to submit new links which you think are missing from the list. Have a look at the new page and at the links and submit any LaTeX related link which is missing from the list. Enjoy!
Lately I am full of ideas – not only concerning
chemmacros and new packages as you might have gathered from recent posts – but also regarding this website.
While working on chemmacros I found I wanted to use some functionality which is currently provided by the package bohr. But since I only wanted part of the functionality I realised that the same was true for bohr: it needed the functionality but wasn’t originally designed to provide it. It made sense to extract said functionality into a package of its own, extended with further functioniality. Long story short: there’s a new package called elements which will be sent to CTAN once bohr is updated to use the new package.
If any of my readers are as active on social media and would like to spread the word about this small niche blog: here you go – I’m on facebook:
Like it if you like it :)
Addendum: There’s also a LaTeX User Group on facebook. So far it is not very active but it’s not dead either. Join us, if you like!
OK, it’s been a while since I’ve posted anything. But now it’s time to discuss a few ideas I have about chemmacros. As you are probably aware if you are a user of the package: it provides lots of different stuff. At least in my experience it is rarely the case that you need all of its features.
Since a few weeks I’m working on a package using chemfig as a backend that allows a simple yet flexible input syntax for typesetting carbohydrates. My draft at this point allows the following:
My chemmacros bundle has reached version 4.0. The step to a new major version has been made for two reasons: 1) the bundle has been extended with a new package: chemgreek. 2) every sub package can now be loaded and used independently. In all versions 3.* the ghsystem package, the chemformula package and the chemmacros package have loaded each other which made them one single package, really. This is no longer true. While chemmacros still loads ghsystem and chemformula (and also the new package chemgreek) the same is not true for ghsystem, chemformula or chemgreek. If they’re loaded alone they won’t load any other package of the bundle.